It's almost fall! The wonderful season full of warm drinks, plaid shirts, and beautifully colored leaves. Celebrate the season with some Hot Mulled Cider on National Hot Mulled Cider Day! Typically, mulled anything is mixed with a combination of cinnamon sticks, cloves, orange peels, and allspice. We decided to give you a sweet, colorful twist to this classic drink!
What you'll need:
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 orange, peeled (Keep the peels!)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 10 allspice berries OR 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 gallon fresh apple cider or fresh apple juice
- 1 small handful of blueberries (1 per cup or cider)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (1 per cup or cider)
What to do:
1. Pour the apple cider or juice in a medium sized saucepan, cover, and turn the heat on medium-high.
2. Combine the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, along with the peels and orange in the apple cider or juice.
3. Keep the mixture covered and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. As the mixture simmers, set your glass ready with the handful of blueberries at the bottom of your cup. Drizzle a little honey over the blueberries to give some sweetness to your mulled cider.
5. After your mixture has boiled, strain out the spices.
6. Add the mixture to your cup and add a fresh cinnamon stick, if desired. Serves about 8 cups.